... a blog to make sense of the world through writing and acts of creativity, to reflect on and respond to the crazy world in which we live. Can beauty, creativity, compassion, and activism emerge from this tension?
That phrase "live and learn" is usually used to resign oneself to mistakes made. I think it captures my feelings about life right now, but maybe Learn and Live is more like it. Building and promoting a website has been frustrating, but because I learn, it is eventually satisfying, and creative. Folks, learning is an act of creativity. And here is why:
1. You have something to show for it. It wasn't there before and now it is. You made it.
2. When you go from point A to point B, from idea to goal, something physical happens in your brain. You are solidifying those neural pathways. You made that.
3. The creative process can be play, but it is also work. Play is easy until you want more. When you want it to be more complex, or more harmonized, or more "perfect," you have to problem-solve. Creating leads to problem solving, problem solving leads to "better" creating. You worked it out.
4. Yes, all learning is creative. Riding a bike, stand-up surfing, yoga, cooking, reading. You are creating YOU!
5. Food for thought: Imposed learning is never creative. When we try to "teach" to a test or to goals and standards that are disconnected from one's own interests, needs, or desires, then that "learning" is destructive, rather than creative. (More on that in another piece.)
Diane Aoki is a writer who explores other modes of creativity as her intuition leads her.