I just read Austin Kleon's list of 100 things that made his year and thought that I could do that, but on a smaller scale. Let's see, using my photos to jog my memory, and without much explanation:
1. The Women's March.
4. Books: 1984, Handmaid's Tale, and many more. Not many newly published ones.
5. Teaching my playwriting class for the first time.
6. Making Almond Joy cookies several times to great acclaim.
7. Potluck Dinner with friends, especially at Laurie's.
8. Exploring creativity with invasive vines.
9. Dragonfly lesson at IGP.
10. Hikes: Talofofo and Gadao Caves, Inarajan falls, Sella Bay
11. Singing with Guam Symphony Chorale both in the Spring and Christmas concerts.
12. Drum circles at IGP
13. Easter with Leon Guerrero family
14. Guam Science Climate March
15. Celebrating Madrid's 40th
16. Mother's Day at Hilton with Brian and family
18. Celebrating mom's 87th
19. Time with Toni and family
20. Hike with Natausha to see the koas we planted years ago.
21. Attacking overgrown vines at home; meeting neighbor Linda who kindly helped me.
22. Singapore trip with Sherry, visiting with June and Eddie
24. Malaysia - especially the Butterfly Park
25. Power Writers Book Launch - and weekly writing group
26. Guam International Film Festival - so many good films!
27. Thailand trip - especially Chiang Mai
28. Special Birthday in Chiang Mai!
29. Getting my ukulele back from Malaysia via Singapore
30. Day at the Museum project with Southern High students at the War in the Pacific National Park
31. Hike with Kurt
32. Road trip to Pahala with Dance, finding the Buddhist temple there
33. Private tango lessons with Lance
34. Making nishime and Okinawan pork for the first time
35. Lemongrass and oregano oil making.
36. Tango lessons with Ogie (making progress)
37. Yoga at Yogachill and with Julie (making progress)
38. Weekly bar time with friends at Mermaid
As I was reviewing this list, which was made by reviewing my photos, I realized there were things that are not photographed because they have become part of my routine. My progress in tango and yoga is notable, so I had to include them. And yes, having a place to hang out with friends on a weekly basis gives me something to look forward to every week.
To summarize, I think my participation in the 3 marches are significant. This is the year of Resistance, of standing up for what we believe. I think this is the mood of the year but I find joy in life even though there is so much to worry about. So, I find joy in travel and finding and learning about new places. I find joy and purpose in fostering creativity, and in experiencing other people's creative expressionsI find joy in being with friends and family. I find joy in nature. I find joy in learning new things and getting better at them (yoga, dance, singing -I hope).
Diane Aoki is a writer who explores other modes of creativity as her intuition leads her.